John C. Maxwell, who is a famous leadership expert, outlines the secret to success in his book, “Everyone Communicates, Few Connect”: What the Most Effective People Do Differently. I have learned and am still learning to apply the principles and practices in this workbook.
One of the main milestones of a baby is learning how to communicate with the people around him or her. However, as we grow, the art of communication waters down to mere talking with little connecting.
The idea is to learn and know how to turn each communication into a fantastic connection.
John C. Maxwell, in his book, shares five fundamental practices and principles that will put you on the right track of developing the crucial connecting skills. Most people who fail to achieve their goals or unlock their maximum potential lack the ability to connect with others effectively.
The Five Key Practices and Principles
These key practices and principles will help you become an effective leader by helping you connect with people in different situations. Once you master the art of communication, you will be able to build a brand using social media platforms, networking, and business building skills.
- Finding common ground – You will learn that communication and connection become more comfortable when you figure out that you have something in common with others. This could be the basis for an entire conversation.
- Keeping your communication simple – simple conversations enhance trust and attentiveness.
- Capturing people’s interest – once you have someone’s interest and attention you can effectively communicate your agenda.
- Inspiring people – This aspect strengthens the trust and bond.
- Staying authentic in all your relationships by being you.
In addition to mastering the practices and principles, try attending forums. Here you can observe how good leaders communicate and connect. The primary challenge in becoming a model leader is taking advantage of what you already have. Don’t concentrate on what you do not have and don’t be afraid to fail as you try to apply your this knowledge in your life. Failure is inevitable, just learn how to pick yourself up and become better.
He also provides for ten connecting practices, some of which include:
- Connecting increases the influence you have over every situation.
- The basis of connecting is “other people.” Stop the narcissism.
- Connecting goes beyond words. Other aspects are emotions and body language.
- Connecting takes a lot of energy and enthusiasm.
- Connecting is more of a skill than a talent.
- Connectors need to live the message that they communicate. Do not preach water and drink wine.
Find out more about courses on communication