How to come to an agreement in a team?
- Invitation for a discussion on a problem
Ask each person to come prepared with the 2 items:
1. A list of 3 main problems in that situation/context
2. A list of 3 solutions
- Each person shares their view of situation
Each person is given 1 or 2 minutes to explain their point of view. They are not to be interrupted. The chair person writes down keyword on a board. The goal at this stage is not to agree.
- Each person shares 1-3 solutions to the situation
The same type of round is performed and this time solutions are given, without details, and written on the board. If the same one comes again, it will be marked with the number of occurrences. the chairperson announces that a vote will be taken, so each person has to take note of which 3-5 solutions he/she will vote for.
- The chairperson leads a vote to decide which 3-5 solutions are the most powerful
This is the first stage at which a vote is taken and a real discussion starts
- The participants are allocated to work on each priority solution
The meeting is adjourned with the agreement of a follow-up meeting where these solutions will be discussed. The solutions will be communicated before the meeting, so that each person can prepare themselves with questions and suggestions.
- The next meeting will be the presentation of each solution by each team
As the participants are prepared, the discussion will be very focused and the solution fine-tuned by all participants.
- To support the team dialogue, additional training can be taken
Example of training can be found on Communication training